Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Shall Return


Where did General Douglas McArthur land when he returned to the Philippines to set free the country from the Japanese invaders? It’s in the Imeldific island of Leyte! Where a park, formerly called the McArthur Park and now called the Leyte Landing Memorial, located at the Red Beach, Palo, Leyte.

After being exists in the province for more than 22 years, I just have been in the park on the 25th of March; this was my first ever meet-up with Gen. McArthur (my bad lol)

If you’re quite curious why it is called Red Beach, the beach’s color went brown to black — not red. The “red” in Red Beach doesn’t refer to the natural color of the sand, but its color after being drenched in blood.

The town of Palo is closest to, and the Memorial is a few minutes from Tacloban City. If you don’t have your personal car, you could hire a public tricycle in going to the park.


The Leyte Landing Memorial commemorates the historic return of the flamboyant general, together with hundreds of thousands of men and hundreds of ships, on October 20, 1944. It was the start of the end of Japanese occupation in the Philippines. October 20 is celebrated every year, as the anniversary date of the Leyte Landing. The marker of the National Historical Institute placed at the park reads:


The original photo of the Leyte Landing on October 20, 1944 showing Gen. Douglas MacArthur (front-middle), President Sergio Osmeña and Gen. Carlos Romulo.

Friends and I lurking around the park. Model: Gail, Photographer: Me LOOOL!



















So, the next time you’re stuck in Tacloban City and or in Palo, soak up a piece of history and drop by Leyte Landing Memorial.  

Next place we visit is mall, the Robinson’s Place Tacloban where is the biggest mall yet in Leyte lol. Conveniently located along Tabuan National Highway in Marasbaras, Tacloban City.


Tom’s World is the first place I visited. I play dance revo. It’s been a while since the last time that I play it; was on year 2004 at Ormoc Centrum I guess. At first and second stage, I played it perfectly fine but on the final stage I switched to difficult mode and I got failed lol. Anyway, I was having good time playing with dance revo.

The next thing we did is my most favorite part, ano pa nga ba? Eh di syempre, KAINAN! I took my meal at KFC since we don’t have yet it in Ormoc City and I wanted to try their newest product which is Cheezy Bacon Fest food and their new variant of Krushers.  But, what the heck! There were no available Cheezy Bacon Twister and Pasta Bowl and Krushers as well, only Cheezy Bacon Chick’n Fillet is available that time, and I was like asdfghkl boooya!

Pictures, pictures with the over used Korean V-pose by non other than, Gail! Woooot! Wooooot!



Now that my gastrointestinal was full, we headed back to Ormoc City brought with pasalubong and good times/memories. There are still more historical places in Leyte I haven’t explore yet; I’m looking forward to see it in on the years to come. It was another great happy adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...